The Fixed point Open Ocean Observatory network (FixO3 ) seeks to integrate European open ocean fixed point observatories and to improve access to these key installations for the broader community. These will provide multidisciplinary observations in all parts of the oceans from the air-sea interface to the deep seafloor. Coordinated by the National Oceanography Centre, UK, FixO3 will build on the significant advances achieved through the FP7 programs EuroSITES, ESONET and CARBOOCEAN. Started on 1st September 2013 with a budget of 7 Million Euros over 4 years the Network includes 29 partners drawn from academia, research institutions and small and medium enterprises (SME). In addition, 12 international experts from a wide range of disciplines comprise an Advisory Board.
Type of Services/Role:
- Obtain experimentally the long-term behavior of composite materials objected in high hydrostatic pressure in the deep-sea environment (1000m).
- Compare the seawater durability, moisture absorption behavior, degradation mechanisms and mechanical properties of glass/epoxy and carbon /epoxy composites.
- Derive the ageing properties of glass epoxy and carbon epoxy composite materials in deep water and compare them with composite specimens, which were not aged.
- Recovery of the specimens after the 18-month period, along with monitoring data.
- Mechanical testing of aged specimens, in tension, compression and shear in order to quantify the degradation effects on the mechanical properties of the studied composite materials.
- Compare the derived curves with un-aged specimens.