The main objective of the Deepcohous project was the development in Greece of a procedure for the optimum structural design and fabrication of axisymmetric composite materials structures for medium and large depth underwater applications, with emphasis on pressure housings for various environmental sensors, pressure hulls for underwater vehicles and natural gas and oil underwater pipelines. This was accomplished by fulfillment of the following scientific and technical objectives:
- Development of procedures for the optimal selection of the composite materials and the production parameters that will be used for manufacturing the pressure housings, based on technical, operational, economic and environmental criteria.
- Development of structural design procedures of both the housing itself and its end-closures and coupling techniques of the latter, based on advanced finite element tools.
- Design, manufacture and high pressure testing of several instrumented housings based on the above procedures, in order to verify their adequacy.
- Development of proper and effective quality control and certification procedures of the housings.
Type of Services/Role:
- Selection and experimental characterization of composite materials
- Structural design of composite pressure housings
- Definition and application of non destructive quality control procedures
- FE models Calibration and Development of Structural Design Guidelines